Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hoppy Easter!

Two weekends ago, we took Hayden up for his first official Easter Egg 'Hunt'. (I'll call it a hunt because that is what you are supposed to call it, but the reality of things for an almost one year old is more like an Easter Egg Scramble - pun intended).

We get to the park where the event is taking place and there are about 1 million kids (ok, 1 million is an exaggeration, it was more like 300,000 kids).
We lined up and patiently waited for the starting whistle... us and the other 299,999 other kids.
We met and strategized as a family the best way to keep from getting trampled and it was decided that our best bet was to have Ray go down to the far end of the field with the camera and when the time came, Hayden and I would make our way down there as fast as we could, hopefully being able to avoid if only for a short time the masses.

Finally it was time! Nimbly, Hayden and I made our way down to the far end of the field by Daddy, and we proceeded to pick up eggs and candy - Hayden was more interested in chewing on the wrappers, but he was having fun - anyway....
Within seconds I would say approximately 200,000 of the 300,000 descended upon us, it was a sea of people - people of all ages, sizes and questionable hygiene practices (ok, maybe that was just me being overly sensitive?)
Thankfully Ray threw Hayden and I a life line and was able to pull us to safety! Whew! We survived (just barely) and had candy and eggs to show for it!
Easter weekend we stayed much more subdued than the public egg hunt...Our great friends Pam and Dean came over for dinner. Afterwords, we went over to our neighbors for a much more subdued (and less frightening) egg hunt for the kids.
Here Katie was showing Hayden how it's done.
Kyle was getting into the action! what a cutie!
Hayden hit the jack pot in the tree! Go baby go!
Hayden also had tons of fun opening the great Easter cards from Grammy and Grandpa Dude, MeMe Karen, GG-Ma and G-Papa Scally and Biz and Mo. Thanks everyone for the great cards! Hayden LOVES looking at the cool pictures!
I have a couple of videos I'll try to post later in the week!

7 comments:

G! said...

Too cute! Looking forward to Hayd's B-day party!!!

M and M said...

Wow what a mob scene. Doesn't look like Hayden was too phased by the crowd. Was that blue basket supposed to be a dog or bunny? Also, what were you thinking giving the kid a pink basket for the second egg hunt?

Shannon, Ray and Hayden said...

The blue basket is a black and white dog. He didn't have a pink basket at the 2nd one, he actually had "borrowed" Katie's basket! He had is blue puppy dog basket - I swear it!

MeMe in Paradise! said...

WOW sounds like a lot of Easter festivities & fun! I am so happy with all the activities you do as a family - that is just plain AWESOME - you 2 were a GREAT couple b 4 and now you r even GREATER parents!

Looks like Hayden was enjoying everything!

Love
MeMe

M and M said...

Love the pictures. I don't think you were exaggerating a bit on your 300,000 attendance estimate! Karen is right, you two are wonderful parents! Love, Grammy

Shannon, Ray and Hayden said...

AWWW shucks (blushing) - thanks for the complements... We are just trying to do the best we can, and really enjoy doing stuff together!

Shea said...

Wow..I'm WAY late in seeing this blog. So cute! I seriously can't believe how big he is getting. =)